Most Recent Notable Cases
- Joseph was instructed by three Defendants in the Queen’s Bench Division in a £1.5m claim brought by the HMRC involving six defendants in all, alleged to have massively under declared profits and siphoned the cash into property purchases. The case encompassed mental health & capacity issues on behalf of one of the represented defendants. The matter was successfully resolved before commencement of a 15 day trial by negotiating a satisfactory compromise and settlement. Instructions were through the Bar Council’s approved scheme, the Public Access Scheme, or Direct Access as its now called.
– Acted for a Hong Kong based company, in a dispute over the construction of a profit sharing contract and franchise agreement.
– Acted for a director and shareholder in a company dispute, and seeking a court order forcing a sale to him of the shares of the other shareholder.
– Acted for a partnership of doctors who had fallen out and were disputing the terms of their partnership agreement.
– Acted for a Defendant local solicitor firm in commercial and intellectual property proceedings where a related family member had claimed [successfully] that a trademark existed to cover the use of the shared family name for a solicitors practise name, preventing the other family members from using their own surname as their business name.
– Joseph acted on behalf of the Defendant in an initial £500k contractual dispute, previously heard by The Royal Courts of Justice. Following advice and lengthy negotiations the parties settled on the first of a four day trial at Birmingham District Registry for less than £50k inclusive of interest.
– Instructed in the Queen’s Bench Division as leading Counsel by four Local Authorities seeking to secure an injunction over the entire Black Country region against persons unknown. The securing of this injunction involved working through the complexities of the legal framework for obtaining injunctive relief and applying common sense solutions to the potential problems.
– Acted on behalf of the Defendant and Counterclaiming party, a wealthy business owner who specialised in the purchase, repair and selling of motor homes. The claim was successfully defended and the defendant succeeded in his counterclaim. Joseph enjoyed a strong rapport with the lay client and gained a unique insight into litigation in this niche field.